Sunday, June 3, 2007

Wats... Wats.... and more Wats

In Chiang Mai, with over 300 Wats, you are overwhelmed with just where to go to and have to be selective. Previously mentioned is Wat Pra That on Doi Suthep Mountain, which would be my number one choice.

Wat Prasingh is also wonderful to see with an enormous Buddha image in a shady little compound with many buildings, library and small shop selling Buddhist artefacts and literature. Located in the Old City at the end of Ratchadamnern Road (Walking Street Market)

For something a litle different go up into the woods in the foothills of Doi Suhep to Wat U-Mong. It has an ancient Chedi, tunnels and caves and is spriritually refreshing, irrespective of your faith or beliefs.

When I lived near the Arcade Bus Station, my local Wat wasWat Gu-Kum. Each morning I used to make merit by supplying food to the monks making alms rounds for the temple. Now the Monks,by tradition,will eat what is presented to them, despite any individual or aesthetic preference.

I used to get quite innovative with what I put into the monk’s bowls and I’d like to think that they appreciated it. Instead of the usual rice and curry’s I used to collect all sorts of luxuries like Rose’s chocolates, apples, crisps and spaghetti bollagnaise and Chilli Con Carne that I had cooked myself. Whatever they may have thought…they came back, bang-smack at 0600 every morning like clockwork.

The senior monk at Wat Gu-Kum told my fortune on several occasions. It is like experiencing ‘The Living daylights’ to realise just how accurate his forecasts were. Scary.

No comments: